A chapel in the forest of the Ill dedicated to the Virgin is mentioned in the 15th century and became an important place of pilgrimage for the Selestadians; many rents are attached to it.
In 1730 the town architect Mathieu Dreyer and his wife offered a large sum of money to enlarge the chapel: a transept and choir were added and in the extension a dwelling for two hermits. A campanile was built on the roof of the choir; new furniture was installed and the statue of the Miraculous Virgin was placed on the high altar.
In 1792 the chapel was emptied and closed and sold in 1793, but the statue of the Virgin was saved.
In 1845 the town bought it back from its owner and installed a forest brigadier in the living quarters to watch over the chapel. The chapel was inaugurated in 1854, then furnished and the pilgrimages were again numerous; the walls were covered with ex-votos.
In 1863 the town commissioned Ringeisen to carry out a project for the use of the house by a forest house.
In November 1944 the chapel was destroyed by a bombardment: only the statue of the Virgin Mary and a few ex-voto's were saved. A new chapel was built in 1953 and 1954 by the architect Paul Kieffer and the statue of Our Lady adorns the altar. (source: General Inventory)