This building is the work of Alexandre Stamm (1835-1906), architect of the town of Sélestat since 1874. This synagogue was inaugurated on September 3, 1890.
With a plan centred on the image of the Rhenish synagogues, this synagogue has a very sober neo-Romanesque decoration. The alternation of yellow sandstone and red bricks as well as pink sandstone chains and frames give it a colourful appearance.
Damaged by the Nazis in 1940, the synagogue was restored after the war without recovering the original dome. It was on this occasion that the old ritual bath (Mikveh) of 1836 was cleared.
Visit only on request