- By bike
Our best cycling routes
Between the plain and the mountain, offering magnificent views and unexpected encounters, the paths of the Sélestat-Haut-Koenigsbourg region are ideal for bike enthusiasts who want to cycle through lush green countryside.
From family outings to more athletic rides, over 150 kilometres of cycling routes, suitable for every level, await you. Discover or rediscover the region at your own pace!
In an exceptional setting that has it all—major tourist sites, vineyards, cities of art and history and nature reserves—pedalling has never been more fun!
Get off the beaten path! Explore a few places that are as fascinating as they are unusual.
The Alsace vineyard cycle route
The Alsace Vineyard Cycle Route (stage of EuroVelo 5 – Via Romea) is a favourite with cyclists. It winds peacefully through about a hundred wine-producing villages and about fifty wine terroirs. It’s the perfect way to discover or rediscover the Alsace Wine Route, at your own pace!
From Dieffenthal to Orschwiller, set off on this idyllic, enchanting ride through postcard-perfect landscapes.
It’s a stunning journey, through lush green hills, quaint villages and the grandest castles of Alsace, in the background!
Along the way, make sure you stop in :
- Scherwiller, the Riesling capital and a charming village with 100 lavoirs
- Châtenois a fortified city imbued with history
- Kintzheim, featuring a medieval castle , where the largest birds of prey in the world reign supreme
- Orschwiller, a picturesque village, and for the most adventurous cyclists who’d like a good climb, there’s the must-see château du Haut-Koenigsbourg
From Châtenois, we recommend “THE VINEYARD ROUTE”, a 10k loop.
Medieval Cities and Baroque art route
In a half-day or a day, this 46.5k cultural loop, leaving from Itterswiller, explores the best sights and monuments of the Sélestat and Haut-Koenigsbourg region. This cycling route at the heart of Alsace encompasses vineyards, the Plain of Alsace and cities. It’s got something for everyone, including history buffs and lovers of culture and architecture!
There are several great places to stop on the way:
- Dieffenthal, which offers a breathtaking view of the Plain of Alsace from the Celtic Rock
- Scherwiller, a charming village: explore the banks of the Aubach and its lavoirs, admire its traditional houses and stop by a winery to taste some wine with the Scherwiller municipal designation of origin
- Châtenois, a fortified city: stroll along the ramparts, wander through the medieval garden, go through the Witches’ Tower, and discover St George’s Church..
- In Kintzheim, admire the ruins of the medieval castle, and stroll through the medieval garden..
- Sélestat a City of Art and History: stroll through the historical centre and discover its 35 historical monuments, visit its churches and must-see attractions (Humanist Library and Maison du Pain d’Alsace)
- Ebersmunster and the abbey church of Saint Maurice,a true gem of baroque architecture, with its organ dating from over 300 years ago.
Cycling route in the Ill*Wald nature reserve
A fun 9k ride for families, in the midst of nature, suitable for all.
A real adventure! Ride through one of the largest regional nature reserves in France, through the plain and through alluvial forests!
The green oasis of Sélestat, l'Ill*Wald is home to a remarkable range of plants and wildlife and features amazing treasures to admire during your ride. Keep an eye out for some surprising encounters! And maybe you’ll be lucky enough to catch a glimpse of some of France’s largest wild deer population here.
Departure:Park down the hill from the roundabout (intersection of D424 and D159 on south side)