The new tower or clock tower
It is also called “The Clock Tower” because it contains a clock. It was originally one of the four gates of the second wall of fortifications (1280). The “New Tower” opens on to the Ried and it is a major element in the network of routes leading to Sélestat, thus granting the town with a favourable economic situation. On the southern front, paintings of the Calvary with the Virgin and Saint Christopher are represented and in the archway, coats of arms and guild events are depicted.